You can’t always get what you want… unless you want lots of intervals! Then this class is for you
Interval based training involves alternating bouts of high-intensity and low-intensity exercise. On the bike we can increase intensity by increasing gear, increasing leg speed (rpm) and by changing bike positions (seated versus standing can create some changes in intensity, typically dependent on leg speed and gear though). Intervals can come in the forms of Tabata drills, time trials or sprints.
Today’s class has some of each: your goal is to push yourself to a very hard zone, 85-90% of your heart rate max when we’re on an interval. With shorter intervals this will require quick bursts of very high-intensity work (10-20 seconds) and with longer intervals you will continue to work hard, but need to find a delicate balance between finding your edge and sustaining the level of work for a longer period of time (20 seconds-1 minute).
And don’t worry, we’ve got some recovery periods built in for you!
Find this playlist on Spotify here: 2013.5.20 You Can’t Always Get What You Want.
Marry the Night [Zedd Remix] – Lady Gaga
- Warm-up: get those legs moving, prepare your posture, tighten your core and warm yourself up to 65% of your heart rate max.
You Can’t Always Get What You Want [Soulwax Remix] – The Rolling Stone
- Before our intervals start… we’ve got a little hill climb. You’ll be in a moderate zone for the first bit, our goal is to push to hard by the end of the song (I want you to break a sweat!). You can’t always get what you want… prepare to be in and out of the saddle and yes, it’s going to be tough.
Sundown [Lazy Rich Remix] – Chris Lake
- Two rolling hills, working in a moderate zone during most of the climb and hitting hard at the top. For this drill you are in a race with three of your friends… they are both currently ahead of you and you are determined to pass them as hills are your strong suit. Get ready for a couple pushes as you speed past them on the climb!
Telephone [Kaskade Extended Remix] – Lady Gaga & Beyonce
- Flat road with speed drills: 45 seconds on, 20 seconds off 4 times through. Enjoy the first minute to just recover and then get ready to push! Your friends are catching up to you, can you leave them in the dust?
Aqualight with Sebastien Leger – Chris Lake
- 1 minute recovery and then we build up into progressively longer time trials. It’s you versus the clock: forget your friends and see how hard you can push yourself. 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minutes.
The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
- A middle school favorite of mine it’s quick standing jog… with 3 seated pushes. When you drop, take off!! Live right now, just be yourself, it doesn’t matter if it’s good enough for someone else–ride for you.
Gold on the Ceiling – The Black Keys
- Slow it down for a climb… get ready to assert your strength again up this hill and catch as much of a lead as you can over those three friends. Save just enough energy to leave them in the dust during our tabatas up next!
Promises – Nero
- Ta-ba-ta! Yay! Finishing out with the hardest part of class today…. your friends will be on your tail soon enough, how hard and how quick do you need to go to stay in the lead? 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off for 10 rounds through. This is the final push.
Breakdown – Handsome Boy Modeling School
Paper Aeroplane – Angus & Julia Stone
- Cool down & stretch…. ahhhhhhh great work!